OUR COMMUNITY IMPACT
The Jackson Symphony Orchestra offers many engaging musical experiences throughout the year in a variety of settings. Our organization is multilayered, consisting of our own event venue – Weatherwax Hall, our own music school – The Ronald and Marvel Jones Community Music School, our multigenred concert series – Music on Tap, our youth symphony – JYSO, our advanced and intermediate orchestra – Community Strings, and our professional orchestra – Jackson Symphony Orchestra. From our concert hall, classrooms, and beyond, the JSO delivers programs that enrich and elevate our community. Quality of life is important to help attract and retain a dynamic workforce, and Jackson County enjoys the impact of the JSO’s offerings and events.
The JSO is grateful to our local partners and realize the vital role they play in maintaining a strong financial base for the symphony’s programs.
- The Jackson Symphony Orchestra attracts audiences from primarily Jackson County, but audience members also come from Calhoun, Hillsdale, Ingham, Lenawee, Livingston and Washtenaw Counties with over 50 music performances.
- Our Classical Concert Series attracts over 2,500 attendees each season.
- Our Music on Tap Series attracts over 900 attendees each season.
- Our Pops Concerts attract over 10,000 attendees each season.
- Our Education Concert attracts over 1,400 students per concert.
- Over 90 tickets donated to Jackson Community Fundraisers.
- Our Community Music School attracts over 400 students each year.
- Our Community Music School has made a significant impact, providing over 9,500 hours of instruction and awarding over $18,000 in scholarships to CMS students.
Community Strings Ensemble: Members of the community who play a stringed instrument are welcomed to come play in an ensemble at the JSO. They meet every other Monday, and perform two free concerts a year. If you’re interested in learning more or joining Community Strings contact our box office via (517) 782-3221 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Random Acts of Music: Individuals and small groups play music in public spaces throughout the county. Nursing homes, hospitals, and other locations receive visits and impromptu concerts from JSO musicians.
Community Support: Over 90 tickets donated to Jackson Community Fundraisers annually.
OUR PERFORMANCE VENUES
- JSO’s Weatherwax Hall: Capacity of 300.
- Jackson College’s Potter Center: Capacity of 1,500.
- Michigan Theatre: Capacity of 1,200.